NASC Quality Seal
The NASC Quality Seal identifies products from companies that are committed to quality, vigilance, and continuous improvement to promote the well-being of companion animals and horses. The Quality Seal program is central to the NASC’s efforts to help elevate and standardize the animal health supplement industry. To obtain permission to display the Quality Seal on their products and marketing materials, NASC member companies must successfully pass an independent third-party audit every two years, and demonstrate ongoing compliance with the following criteria:
- Have a quality control manual in place that provides written standard operating procedures (SOPs) for production process control, which helps ensure the company is providing a consistent and quality product.
- Have an adverse event reporting/complaint system in place to monitor and evaluate products in real time.
- Comply with stringent labeling guidelines for all products and all forms of labeling.
- Include on product labels any specific warnings and caution statements for particular ingredients that are recommended by the Food & Drug Administration’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (FDA-CVM) and the NASC Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Submit to random product testing by an independent lab to ensure ingredients meet label claim.
Products with the NASC Quality Seal are sold by veterinarians, pet specialty stores, farm and tack stores, supermarkets, big-box stores, and online retailers.