The National Animal Supplement Council turned 20 in 2022. In celebration of this milestone, we want to thank everyone that has been part of the NASC story. Our successful advocacy and leadership actions would not have been possible without collaboration with federal and state regulatory agencies, partnership with numerous industry associations and unwavering support from the veterinarians, retailers, distributors and consumers who believe in the work we do.
What started as a grassroots effort with 18 founding member companies has grown into the leading voice for the industry, representing nearly 300 member companies dedicated to quality, consistency and continuous improvement. We have helped to shape and secure the future of our industry for the benefit of millions of dogs, cats and horses worldwide, and are excited to see what the next 20 years have in store!
Below are some of the NASC’s most meaningful accomplishments over the past 20 years:
- Rallied a group of concerned industry participants to begin addressing the problem of increasing stop sale orders and removal of animal supplement products from retail shelves
- Submitted a written plan to regulatory agencies across the country addressing the issues surrounding the sale of dietary supplements for dogs, cats and horses
- Worked cooperatively with regulators and AAFCO to help bring about regulation that is fair, reasonable, responsible and nationally consistent
- Created the NASC Quality Program, which defines the guidelines members must meet to fulfill the requirements of membership, including:
- Documented quality control and production procedures
- Real-time monitoring and mandatory monthly adverse event reporting
- Stringent labeling compliance for all products and forms of labeling
- Compliance with random product testing to ensure products meet label claims
- Ingredient review by the NASC Scientific Advisory Committee
- Created and implemented the NASC Adverse Event Reporting System (NAERS®), which today monitors over 1,400 ingredients and more than 6,000 products
- Developed and implemented the NASC audit verification program, which has become the gold standard for the industry and which includes the NASC Quality Seal to differentiate audited members and provide a credible mark of quality for retailers, distributors, veterinarians and animal owners
- Created the NASC Preferred Supplier program to give NASC member companies access to vetted quality suppliers of raw materials, contract manufacturing, laboratory testing and professional services
- Grew membership to nearly 300 companies that are concerned and committed suppliers of animal supplements from around the world who strive to improve the quality of products consumers depend on every day for their beloved dogs, cats, and horses
When a collective of nearly 300 companies comes together with a shared vision for for a system of transparency, collaboration, and the implementation of best practices, the result is successful self-regulation that bridges the gap between what the law requires and what consumers demand!